Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bob Dylan Albums - Which Are The Best?

Cover of "Slow Train Coming"Cover of Slow Train ComingBy Jim A. Byrne

I was drinking at the local bar last week when someone asked me this question: "If you were to be isolated in a jungle and could only bring 3 Bob Dylan albums, which ones would you choose to bring?"

This had me thinking - I couldn't give an answer right away, and not just because I already had a good buzz from drinking 5 bottles of beer. I was perplexed because I am a big fan of Bob Dylan. Let me rephrase that, I REALLY LOVE BOB DYLAN!

If you are even remotely aware of American pop culture over the past 4 decades, then it would be really hard to miss the great impact of Bob Dylan's songs. He is considered as one of the greatest dynamic artist in modern American history music. Yes, I need more time to get back in touch with all things D-Y-L-A-N!

I had to admit, I spent an entire week revisiting all my Dylan's CDs to get a compilation of the Top 3 Bob Dylan's albums that I would like to have with me, should I be deserted in a jungle.

Here's my list:

1. Slow Train Coming - Bob Dylan's 19th album. Considered as his 1st attempt since he has become a born again Christian; with songs stressing the importance of Christian philosophy and teachings, and where he expressed his personal faith. Here, Dylan has done the unexpected. The single from this album "Gotta Serve Somebody" became his very first hit in 3 years. Most songs have a Christian theme to it, but you don't need to be a Christian to enjoy it. With the release of this album, a lot of Christians were drawn to his fan base.

2. Blood on the Tracks - This album marked Dylan's return to Columbia after 2 album detours with Asylum Records; considered as the greatest comeback collection of all time. Most of the lyrics in the album tells about anger, heartache and loneliness and is now seen as one of his greatest albums.

3. Blonde on Blonde - Dylan's 7th album released by Columbia records. This album is purely modern rock; and marked the end of the rocking/electronic period for Dylan. The songs have his brand of rock and blues with surreal lyrics and eclectic sound. This album earned the double-platinum.

With this list of Bob Dylan Albums I hope I have introduced the genius of Dylan, especially to those who haven't yet had the privilege of listening to his best work.

Jim A. Byrne is a musician and recording artist who has been writing songs for over 30 years. As well as writing songs for his own Folk and Country Blues albums he has written songs with other people including the pop star Marti Pellow of Wet Wet Wet and Jazz singer Carol Kidd MBE. Visit Jim's website for more tips and to download two of Jim's latest songs for free: http://www.songsbyjimbyrne.com/freemp3music/index.html

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Jim_A._Byrne
http://EzineArticles.com/?Bob-Dylan-Albums---Which-Are-The-Best?&id=6346379
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment