Monday, February 15, 2010

Famous Song Quotes From The Hippie Era

Being part of the Hippie counter culture meant having a firm opinion on everything under the sun - love, drugs, war, activism and a world view or philosophy.

Some of the songs of that era came out with lyrics that are stirring and moving, concentrating on the hopes and dreams of a generation who wanted to change the world.

The Hippies basically longed for a world of brotherhood and equality and a cruise through a world of idealistic dreams.

"Imagine no possessions; I wonder if you can, no need for greed or hunger, A brotherhood of Man. Imagine all the people sharing all the world". So sang John Lennon about a dream world of brotherhood and happiness in his cult classic, Imagine.

Cat Stevens echoed his sentiments in Peace Train, "I've been smiling lately, dreaming about the world as one. And I believe it could be someday, it's going to come."

About the Hippie experience, Bob Dylan writes in Like a Rolling Stone, "How does it feel to be on your own, with no direction home, like a complete unknown, like a rolling stone?" And Steppenwolf declared, "Like a true nature's child, we were born, born to be wild."

Love is a favorite theme.

"Carry on, Love is coming. Love is coming to all" sang Crosby, Stills and Nash. They also sang, "And if you can't be with the one you love honey, Love the One you are with." "Love is all You Need" crooned the Beatles. Led Zeppelin sang in Goin' to California, "Made up my mind to make a new start. Going to California with an aching in my heart. Someone told me there is a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair." A popular slogan was, "Make Love not war".

Freedom was a cherished value.

Cat Stevens declared in his If You want to Sing Out, "If you want to be free, be free, because there's a million things to be." Joni Mitchell said in Woodstock, "Got to get back to the land and set my soul free." John Lennon echoes the sentiment in Come together, "One thing I can tell you is You've got to be free."

Bob Dylan wonders in his Blowin' in the wind, "How many years can a people exist before they can be free." Woodie Guthrie declares in his This Land was Made for You and me, "Nobody living can ever stop me. As I go walking my freedom highway. Nobody living can make me turn back. This land was made for you and me." The Byrds sang, "A time for Love, a time for hate, a time for peace, I swear it's not too late." The Grassroots declared, "Lets Live for today." Led Zeppelin sang, "There's a feeling I get when I look to the west and my spirit is longing for leaving."

The hippies were also activists. They started the green movement, combated racism, liberated sexual stereotypes and managed to end the Vietnam war.
Some quotes on activism.

John Lennon, "All we are saying is Give peace a chance." 
The Beatles: "We all want to change the world."
Joni Mitchell: "They won't give peace a chance, that's just a dream some of us had."
Buffalo Springfield described the scene, "A thousand people in the street. Singing songs and carrying signs."

No comments:

Post a Comment