Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Beatles in 1963 - "She Loves You," "From Me to You," & "I Want to Hold Your Hand"

By Jackson Weinheimer

1963 was the beginning of Beatlemania. It was the year they wrote and recorded definitiive "British Invasion" songs such as "She Loves You" & "I Want to Hold Your Hand." It was the year that John Lennon & Paul McCartney went from being novice songwriters to masters of pop rock songwriting.

What follows is a snapshot of the most remarkable original songs that The Beatles recorded in 1963:

"I Saw Her Standing There" - The opening track on The Beatles debut album, Please Please Me, and the B-side on the American version of the "I Want to Hold Your Hand" single (the single that started the "British Invasion"). This is a very important song in the history of The Beatles and in my opinion one of their best early songs.

"From Me To You" - This tune held the #1 spot on the UK singles charts for seven weeks in 1963. While it lacks the punch of "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand" it's definitely a catchy number that has plenty of personality (and harmonica). And as you'll see in my write up for "Thank You Girl" I think this may have been a very important song in The Beatles career.

"Thank You Girl" - I'm including this one not so much because I think it's one of their better originals from 1963 but more to note how much different things may have turned out. While it's not an awful song, it is pretty weak compared to "From Me To You." This is interesting to me because before "From Me To You" was written, this song was actually set to be the band's follow-up single to "Please Please Me." I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have even made it to #1, much less stayed there for seven weeks. Maybe "Beatlemania" would have been dead in it's tracks if not for "From Me To You"

"She Loves You" - To this day "She Loves You" is the biggest selling single The Beatles ever had in the UK. The impact of this song is so obvious that I don't think it's necessary to go into it: "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah"

"It Won't Be Long" - The opening track on The Beatles second album, With The Beatles. While I don't think it's a particularly strong song by Beatles album opener (the competition there is fierce) it is a pretty good song and example of how easily Lennon/McCartney were writing pop classics at this time.

"All My Loving" - Easily the most memorable song on the With The Beatles album. Despite the fact that it wasn't a single, I think it's one of the best examples of The Beatles early style. I actually think it's quite a bit better than "From Me To You" even though that one was a seven week #1 single.

"I Want To Hold Your Hand" - The song that broke America. We are still feeling the reverberation of this song's impact over 45 years after it was recorded.

All of these great classic songs are included in both the Remastered Mono CD Box Set and the Remastered Stereo CD Box Set. The non album tracks are included on the Past Masters & Mono Masters CD's, respectively.

Both box sets are "must buy" purchases for any true Beatles fanatic.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Jackson_Weinheimer
http://EzineArticles.com/?The-Beatles-in-1963---She-Loves-You,-From-Me-to-You,-and-I-Want-to-Hold-Your-Hand&id=2745003

No comments:

Post a Comment