Saturday, April 19, 2008

Who Sang Spirit in the Sky?

Who Sang Spirit In The Sky?
By DA Jack Hayford

Yet another generation of music lovers has been introduced to an "oldie but goodie." Gatorade's newest sports drink, Tiger, named for golfing great Tiger Woods, is promoted via a "Moonshot" video which depicts the world's greatest golfer (in a space suit) lacing a drive off the surface of the moon to the tune of the late 60's classic (released in 1969) "Spirit In The Sky."

"Spirit In The Sky" is the song that puts folk-rocker Norman Greenbaum in the "one-hit-wonder" category of popular music (it peaked in March of 1970 at #3). It has endured despite Greenbaum's short and uneven career in record-making. (Greenbaum was known for unusual songs with odd titles such as "Canned Ham." But hey, this was THE 70s!)

Although "Spirit In The Sky" is not considered a gospel song in the traditional sense, clearly the subject is going to the great beyond...if you "have a friend in Jesus." A strikingly traditional religious sentiment for the period.

"Spirit In The Sky" was prominently featured in the 1995 Ron Howard directed blockbuster Apollo 13 starring Tom Hanks. It was also notably recorded by alt-country rockers The Kentucky Headhunters and, more recently, by British pop singer Gareth Gates.

Spirit In The Sky Lyrics
(Words and Music by Norman Greenbaum)

When I die and they lay me to rest
Gonna go to the place that's the best
When I lay me down to die
Goin' up to the spirit in the sky
Goin' up to the spirit in the sky
That's where I'm gonna go when I die
When I die and they lay me to rest
Gonna go to the place that's the best

Prepare yourself you know it's a must
Gotta have a friend in Jesus
So you know that when you die
He's gonna recommend you
To the spirit in the sky
Gonna recommend you
To the spirit in the sky
That's where you're gonna go when you die
When you die and they lay you to rest
You're gonna go to the place that's the best

Never been a sinner I never sinned
I got a friend in Jesus
So you know that when I die
He's gonna set me up with
The spirit in the sky
Oh set me up with the spirit in the sky
That's where I'm gonna go when I die
When I die and they lay me to rest
I'm gonna go to the place that's the best
Go to the place that's the best

DA Jack Hayford is the editor of the popular music reference website, Events-in-Music.com, which features a special section on #1 Songs. Mr. Hayford is also the Program Director and co-founder of DurangoSong.com, the online home of the ten-plus-year old Durango Songwriters Expo, a premier annual educational and inspirational event for aspiring songwriters.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=DA_Jack_Hayford
http://EzineArticles.com/?Who-Sang-Spirit-In-The-Sky?&id=1110394

No comments:

Post a Comment